Do you always have the same dive buddy – or even a few buddies…. or do you get paired up with a different buddy on every dive? Does your buddy love you – or hate you?
Here are some sure signs that your dive buddy might just actually hate you:
- He gives you the “wait here” sign and you are still on the boat.
- He “forgets” to close your dry suit zipper.
- When you give him the out of air signal, he passes you his snorkel.
- When you indicate you are low on air, he writes on his slate “I’ll get you some” and swims off.
- You give him the “OK” signal and he gives you the finger.
- He spits in your mask for you, but you haven’t taken it off yet.
- He takes photos of rare marine life and doesn’t show you, but gloats about the photos he took afterwards.
- He clips a dead fish to your butt D-ring during a shark dive.
- He constantly refers to himself as a solo diver.
- In an air sharing situation, you reach for your buddy’s octopus and a note taped to it reads “out of order”.
- He mis-navigates at a dive site you have never done before, then loses you on purpose.
- Your dive buddy drives off after the dive without checking if you need an unzip from your drysuit.
- Every time you attach your crotch strap, your buddy yells “looks like there’s plenty of room there!”
- But the surest sign of all…. He writes, “I hate you” on his dive slate.