Nestled in the heart of the Philippines is an island rich in biodiversity and geological wonder. Lush rainforests daub the landscape and rare, alien-like creatures traipse below the shifting surface. Romblon boasts magnificent marble boulders, stretches of powdery sand beaches and an endless supply of peculiar creatures for marine lovers and macro enthusiasts.
Romblon Province is located at the end of the Verde Island Passage between Luzon and the Visayan Islands – not only at the geographical centre of the Philippines, but also at the “centre of centre of biodiversity” and known to be one of the richest areas when it comes to marine species. New species are constantly being discovered here.
Romblon Island is not bigger than 50 square kilometres and famous for its authentic charm and the friendly people you find here. The dive spots in Romblon are highly diverse. From hard coral formations, soft coral gardens, caves and cliffs with large gorgonians to sand/muck and colourful shallow water dive sites.
Divers can enjoy these numerous underwater landscapes often without any other divers around and will find in Romblon a serene underwater haven. Most dive sites are suitable for all levels of experience with none to very little current. Water temperatures are usually between 26 °C and 30°C. The visibility under water is usually at least 20 metres.
You can find one of the richest marine biodiversities in the world in Romblon. On vertical walls and colorful reefs you may encounter numerous sponges, giant gorgonian fans, corals and anemones together with rare and unique tropical reef fish, sea slugs, snails, crabs and numerous other reef inhabitants. There are soft coral spots, caves, cliffs, canyons, muck and macro dive sites and so much to discover in over 40 dive sites in Romblon.
The resort is situated on the water’s edge and is a small, family owned and run business, offering a unique diving experience. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are included in the package and served at the main building restaurant where you also find the dive shop, kitchen and bar.
All the staff is specialized in guiding and as spotters and can also assist in taking photos. They know the marine fauna and flora very well and can usually show guests most critters on their wish lists.
The owners and their team are constantly exploring Romblon’s unique dive sites and keep record of all the species they find including a couple rarities like Butterfly sea slugs (Cyerce nigra, Cyerce bourbonica, Cyerce elegans, Cyerce ssp.), the “holy grail” of critters, the Phantom nudibranch (Melibe colemani), Ghost nudibranch (Melibe engeli), Pontohi Pygmy Seahorse (Hippocampus pontohi), Severnsi Pygmy Seahorse (Hippocampus severnsi), Denise Pygmy Seahorse (Hippocampus denise), Braun’s Pughead Pipefish (Bulbonaricus brauni), Glittering pipefish (Halicampus nitidus), Japanese Dragon Shrimp (Anachlorocurtis commensalis), Chocolate Shrimp, Sashimi Shrimp, 5 types of hairy and algae shrimp, rare octopus, 500+ species of nudibranchs and sea slugs and many rare and unusual fish species.
Blackwater diving is simply a night dive over deep water. This form of scuba diving brings you far off the shore of Romblon Island into the Romblon Pass. Holding onto weighted down lines you can encounter life forms you cannot see anywhere else. The diurnal migration brings up countless species from deep water close to the surface. You can observe pelagic sea slugs, cephalopods, crustaceans, salps, jellyfish and numerous juvenile fish, crab and shrimp larvae. For this unique experience are good buoyancy and around 50 completed dives.
- 10 nights’ accommodation
- 3 meals a day
- Unlimited drinking water, coffee and tea
- Return airport transfer and shared air-conditioned room in overnight ferry from Batangas to Romblon
- 26 guided day boat dives
- Hire of 12 litre cylinders and weights
- Dive guides
- WiFi in public areas
- Return flights Cape Town / Johannesburg – Manila
- Tips/bag fees at the Port
- Single Supplement
- Personal travel insurance
- 15L cylinders and additional equipment
- Discretionary gratuities for staff
- Add-on fee for Night dives, Blackwater Dives and Bonfire Dives
- Romblon is world renowned for its marine diversity and as the resort is very small, it can only accommodate a few guests at a time. Because of this, the resort tends to book up in well in advance and very quickly. We therefore need to book our space at the resort as soon as possible (and this is why we are already promoting our trip!).
- Please contact Deon on 082 268 1852 or email@example.com to book.
Please note the following:
- Prices are subject to change in the event of a price increase and / or exchange rate fluctuations.
- The exact price can only be confirmed at the time of final invoicing and final payment due date.
- The price quoted is based on a group tour and there will be additional charges for any breakaways or extensions to this itinerary (where possible).
The above prices are based on EFT payments.
- All guests (divers and non divers) will need to supply a copy of their dive certification card as well as complete our medical questionnaire and waiver upon booking.
- To join this trip, you must be physically able to make your way easily around a moving deck and climb up and down ladders and over rough terrain unassisted.